As I stand at my kitchen counter, defrosting the turkey three days before the big event of Thanksgiving, my mind wanders to what I am most thankful for. Soon my house will be filled with the noise of family and friends and of course, I am lucky to have them in my life and have all of the blessings that surround me, yet I can’t help but think about the little things I am grateful for. The quirky, small details that would never make it onto anybody’s top ten list, least of all mine, but yet I can’t do without. So here goes nothing. Here is the list of my top fifty. I won’t be saying this out loud at the dinner table on Thursday but it doesn’t mean I won’t be thinking about these. I am thankful for:
(1) Hair dye (preventing my aging process just a little while longer).
(2) Toe tapping country music never going out of style.
(3) Footsie pajamas.
(4) The fact that romantic comedies will always make me laugh.
(5) The fact that Pride and Prejudice still gives me hope that there are soul mates in the world and that eternal love does exist.
(6) Spanx (I don’t think I need to explain this one).
(7) Margaritas, strawberry daiquiris and apple martinis (especially when drunk with good company).
(8) Ice cream as a comfort food.
(9) Good books and delicious soap opera type TV shows.
(10) The fact that my daughter thinks I’m beautiful.
(11) The fact that people out there really like my books!
(12) Colin Firth (with or without the wet shirt).
(13) A good belly laugh.
(14) Gasps after a tough hour long work out (It lets me know I’ve still got some steam left in me).
(15) Multitasking(16) Post it notes (I’d be lost without them!)
(17) The fact that I know how to text, tweet and Facebook (and sometimes all at the same time).
(18) I know the words to every Madonna song.
(19) Forgiving clothes (especially after the holidays).
(20) Horizontal stripes
(21) Scrumptious meals.
(22) Hershey kisses.
(23) Watching a movie at the midnight showing.
(24) Dancing with my heels off in the middle of a dance floor.
(25) A beautiful sunrise and an unbelievable sunset.
(26) My children’s smiles.
(28) Steamy baths.
(29) Dipping my toes into the sand.
(30) Floppy sun hats.
(31) Hot cup of coffee in the morning.
(32) A scale that is off by minus five pounds.
(33) Morning talk shows.
(34) New Year resolutions (and the fact that I can start over every year).
(35) Smell of pine cones.
(36) Flat iron (especially on humid days).
(37) Designer shoes.
(38) The sound of my fingers typing away on the computer keys.
(39) The smell of freshly baked cookies.
(41) Discounts at my favorite department stores.
(42) Free shipping.
(43) Brown Amazon packages waiting on my front porch.
(44) Finding five dollars in my pocket… (even better…when it’s in my husband’s pocket!)
(45) Downton Abbey.
(46) Eight hours of uninterrupted sleep.
(47) Lip gloss.
(48) Push up bras.
(49) Gentle kisses.
(50) Little hands giving big hugs.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!